Learn more about our physicians and the entire COSM team dedicated who are dedicated to your treatment.
Craig Weil, MD is among an elite group of orthopedic surgeons who are quadruple Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgery, having also obtained a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Hand Surgery.
Dr. Weil is on the cutting-edge of hand surgery, having participated in the development and introduction of single- and double-portal Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release through lectures and labs around the United States. He has served for an unprecedented three times as Chief of Staff and Chief of Surgery at WellStar Windy Hill Hospital, received multiple awards from the WellStar Healthcare System for his achievements in patient safety and hospital quality, and a WellStar Service award for 2015.
Dr. Weil also has published numerous papers on the shoulder and upper extremity for both books and peer-reviewed journals in hand and orthopedic surgery, and is a frequent lecturer at national meetings, including the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and The American Academy of Physician Assistants.
- B.S. Northwestern University 1975
- M.D. University of Alabama Medical School 1979
- Internship in Medicine, Pediatrics and General Surgery - Emory University/Grady Memorial Hospital 1981
- Orthopedic Residency - University of Alabama Medical School 1984
- Chief Resident in Orthopedics, Member of Residents Council 1983-84 l. From 1984-85 Dr. Weil attended
- Fellowship in Hand Surgery, Instructor in Orthopedics -Tufts University/New England Baptist Hospital 1985
- Clinical Instructor in Orthopedics and Hand Surgery - Emory University Medical School/Grady Memorial Hospital 1985-present
- Chairman of the Medical Committee for the Georgia State Board of Worker’s Compensation
- Preceptor and Lecturer in Orthopedics - Mercer University Physician Assistants Program
- Lecturer, First Year Medical Students, Emory University Medical School - Orthopedic Embryology and Congenital Hand Differences
- Fellowship in Hospital Leadership - Kennesaw State University, Coles College of Business.
- National Medical Director for Disney’s Broadway Show Newsies 2015
- Physician Consultant to Live Nation, medical provider to numerous professional entertainers and athletes
- Event organizer and supporter, Kid’s Chance Charities, Chair of annual fundraising luncheon to help children of injured workers receive a college education
- Vitals Top Ten Doctors in Georgia and On Time Awards; Healthgrades 4.5/5
Eric Steenlage, MD brings an unusual work and education background to his medical practice. His family situation forced him to leave school at the age of 15 and go to work full-time. In addition to working the family farm, he loaded poultry trucks, poured concrete, worked road construction, and managed an apple orchard. Dr. Steenlage started training as a welder when he was 16, and went on to work in steel fabrication. The skills he learned as a fabricator developed into a passion for metal working that continues today. When he turned 18, he also obtained his Commercial Driver’s License, driving trucks for a construction company.
These types of jobs taught him the value of hard work; the injuries that frequently accompany these types of jobs taught him the value of a good orthopaedic surgeon. Wanting to continue his education (and somewhat motivated by the long hours and hard work), Dr. Steenlage obtained his GED, and was accepted at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. He eventually graduated with highest honors, after which he was accepted into Yale University School of Medicine.
While at Yale, Dr. Steenlage completed his doctoral thesis studying the high rate of trauma mortality in Quito, Ecuador. He then completed a 5-year residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Kentucky Medical Center, a Level One Trauma Center. Dr. Steenlage then completed a year of specialty training in arthroscopy and sports medicine at the Charité University Hospitals in Berlin, Germany. In Berlin, Dr. Steenlage also served as one of the Team Physicians for the Berlin Thunder, a team in the NFL Europe football league.
Dr. Steenlage has been involved in an extensive amount of research throughout his career. In college, he participated in multiple trauma surgery research projects. In medical school, he completed his thesis studying traumatic injuries in Quito, Ecuador, and initiated a study of military injuries sustained in Ecuador’s border wars with Peru. While at Yale, Dr. Steenlage also studied in England, participating in research studying external muscle stimulation and gait analysis in paraplegic patients.
During Dr. Steenlage’s orthopaedic surgery training, he concentrated his research interests on sports injuries, primarily anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) reconstruction. He initiated and participated in numerous ACL studies, including developing new ligament reconstruction techniques. His research resulted in numerous publications, with research presentations in 8 different countries. Dr. Steenlage’s research resulted in the development of an entirely new ACL reconstruction technique, which was patented in the U.S and Europe. He is a consultant for orthopaedic instrumentation manufacturers and has been an editor for orthopaedic journals. He specializes in arthroscopic surgery while continuing to treat trauma injuries and general orthopaedic problems.
Dr. Weil, Dr. Steenlage and their staff look forward to providing you with the best possible orthopaedic care. We realize that the problems that bring you to our office are often difficult, painful, and traumatic, and we promise to do our best to both make you as comfortable as possible and provide the best possible treatment for the problems affecting you.
- Saron: Registered Orthopedic Technologist
- Patty: Registered Orthopedic Technologist
- Kelli: Registered Technologist (X-ray, MRI)
- Jonathan: Registered Technologist (X-ray, MRI)
- Olivia: Certified Medical Assistant
Front Office Staff
- Summer: Front Office Manager and Worker’s Compensation Liaison
- Benjamin: Business Manager
- Jackie: CPC-A
- Christine, CPC