Center Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine
Dr. Hammesfahr graduated from Colgate University in 1973 and the College of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in 1977. The Emory University/Grady Hospital Orthopaedic Residency was completed in 1982. He was Chief Resident in Orthopaedics from 1980-1982. Along with being on the speaking faculty of numerous medical and orthopaedic meetings, Dr. Hammesfahr has been the co-director of several courses on arthroscopy. His publications have focused on arthroscopy, calcaneal fractures, abductor paralysis, wound healing, running injuries, meniscal repair, septic knees, and, of course, sports medicine. Professional organizations are an important part of good medical care. Being asked to join certain medical societies is considered an honor. Among the organizations in which Dr. Hammesfahr is a member or of which he is a Fellow are: the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (which means that he is Board-certified), the Arthroscopy Association of North America, the Atlanta Orthopaedic Association, the Georgia Orthopaedic Society, the Eastern Orthopaedic Association and the Southern Orthopaedic Association. He has served as President of the largest regional orthopaedic association, the Southern Orthopaedic Association.
As a member and chairman of the Curriculum and Examination Board (CEB) of United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) from 2002 until 2012, the CEB was charged with developing the Advanced Tactical Paramedic (Practitioner) program for the Special Operations Command Medics. In 2007, he was awarded the Outstanding Civilian Service Medal by the Command Surgeon of USSOCOM.
While in this capacity, in 2005, he was asked by the City of Marietta to develop a Tactical Emergency Medical Support unit for the SWAT team. As Medical Director for the TEMS unit, he has overseen the program development and training.
He has taught numerous courses on Tactical Medicine. His positions include:
- Medical Director – Tactical Medical Consulting, LLC, 2013-present
- Medical Director, Tactical Emergency Medical Support Unit, Marietta Police/Fire Department, Marietta, Ga. 2005 - present.
- CONTOMS (Counter Narcotics and Operational Medical Support), Faculty, 2009 – present.
- Tactical Medical Instructor, Center for Operational Medicine, Georgia Health Sciences University, 2012 – present.
- Committee – Tactical Emergency Casualty Care (C-TECC), Board of Advisors, 2012 – present.
- Board Member, United States Special Operations Command, Curriculum and Examination Board, 2003 – 2011, Tampa, Florida.
- Chairman, United States Special Operations Command, Curriculum and Examination Board, 2005 – 2011, Tampa, Florida.
- He is co-author, along with David Collins, of "Tactical Emergency Medical Support - A Field Manual", now in its third edition.
As a Board certified Orthopedic Surgeon, Dr. Hammesfahr has provided medical coverage for multiple concert performances, treated both recreational and professional athletes, and maintained an active practice as Medical Director of the Center for Orthopedics and Sports Medicine.
Vitals.com awarded Dr Hammesfahr the Patient’s Choice Award and Compassionate Doctor Recognition in 2013 and recognized him as one of the Top 10 Doctors in the State of Georgia in 2014. Healthgrades.com also placed Dr. Hammesfahr on the Healthgrades Honor Roll.
Dr. Weil is among an elite group of orthopedic surgeons who are quadruple Board Certified in Orthopedic Surgery, having also obtained a Certificate of Added Qualifications in Hand Surgery.
Dr. Weil is on the cutting-edge of hand surgery, having participated in the development and introduction of single- and double-portal Endoscopic Carpal Tunnel Release through lectures and labs around the United States. He has served for an unprecedented three times as Chief of Staff and Chief of Surgery at WellStar Windy Hill Hospital, received multiple awards from the WellStar Healthcare System for his achievements in patient safety and hospital quality, and a WellStar Service award for 2015.
Dr. Weil also has published numerous papers on the shoulder and upper extremity for both books and peer-reviewed journals in hand and orthopedic surgery, and is a frequent lecturer at national meetings, including the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, the American Society for Surgery of the Hand and The American Academy of Physician Assistants. B.S. Northwestern University 1975
- M.D. University of Alabama Medical School 1979
- Internship in Medicine, Pediatrics and General Surgery - Emory University/Grady Memorial Hospital 1981
- Orthopedic Residency - University of Alabama Medical School 1984
- Chief Resident in Orthopedics, Member of Residents Council 1983-84 l. From 1984-85 Dr. Weil attended
- Fellowship in Hand Surgery, Instructor in Orthopedics -Tufts University/New England Baptist Hospital 1985
- Clinical Instructor in Orthopedics and Hand Surgery - Emory University Medical School/Grady Memorial Hospital 1985-present
- Chairman of the Medical Committee for the Georgia State Board of Worker’s Compensation
- Preceptor and Lecturer in Orthopedics - Mercer University Physician Assistants Program
- Lecturer, First Year Medical Students, Emory University Medical School - Orthopedic Embryology and Congenital Hand Differences
- Fellowship in Hospital Leadership - Kennesaw State University, Coles College of Business.
- National Medical Director for Disney’s Broadway Show Newsies 2015
- Physician Consultant to Live Nation, medical provider to numerous professional entertainers and athletes
- Event organizer and supporter, Kid’s Chance Charities, Chair of annual fundraising luncheon to help children of injured workers receive a college education
- Vitals Top Ten Doctors in Georgia and On Time Awards; Healthgrades 4.5/5
- Sara McKenna, MSN, APRN, NP-C
- Saron: Registered Orthopedic Technologist
- Patti: Registered Orthopedic Technologist
- Sheila: Registered Technologist (X-ray), Registered Orthopedic Technologist
- Kelli: Registered Technologist (X-ray, MRI)
- Jonathan: Registered Technologist (X-ray, MRI)
- Olivia: Certified Medical Assistant
Front Office Staff
- Summer: Front Office Manager and Worker’s Compensation Liaison
- Judy: Medical Records
- Benjamin: Business Manager
- Jackie: CPC-A
- Roby: CFO
- Christine, CPC